Exempt - Salary
Head of School
$50,000 - $70,000 (grant funded)
Bloom Academy Charter School exists to provide a high quality, rigorous, and joyful educational experience to students in grades kindergarten to fifth grade. We are a new and independent school seeking to add deeply mission aligned, smart, hardworking, and emotionally intelligent people to our founding staff. We opened August 2019 with a cohort of kindergarten and first graders, and will serve scholars in grades K-5 during the 23-24 school year.
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE BELIEVE
At Bloom Academy we provide a safe, joyful, inclusive, and challenging learning environment for all students. This includes children with special needs. This includes children from low-income households. This includes children who have been historically marginalized. We believe that all children can learn at high levels. We believe that all children are extraordinary. We believe that children can only be as great as the adults in front of them. We believe that excellent teaching requires planning, coaching, constructive feedback and reflection. We believe that teaching is one of the greatest and hardest responsibilities in the world. We treat each other with respect and value the talent each person adds to our organization no matter their position on our organizational chart. An Instructional Coach will play an integral role in ensuring our scholars are seen, loved, heard, and successful.
We exist to change the narrative about what children from low-income neighborhoods are capable of achieving both academic and personally. We exist to change the narrative about what Black and Brown children are capable of achieving both academically and personally. We are unapologetic about our philosophy. All applicants must share this mindset – no exceptions.
The Bloom Academy Founding Instructional Coach
Driven by our mission to ensure every child succeeds, the Founding Instructional Coach will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a safe, joyful, and reflective learning environment for each of our scholars. This is a grant funded position.
The Founding Instructional Coach will have the following key responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Superintendent and Head of School on codifying a clear academic vision for literacy instruction rooted in our mission and vision for scholars.
- Assist with the development and expert execution of Bloom Academy’s rigorous, engaging, and joyful academic program for grade levels K-5.
- Coach Bloom Academy teachers (lead and fellow) to provide high quality instruction in the areas of Reading, Writing, Math, Social Studies and Science.
- Communicate and demonstrate knowledge of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and research based instructional strategies.
- Collaborate with members of the Neurodiversity Team to ensure research-based methods are implemented in order to support our scholars with special needs.
- Develop a lesson and unit plan schedule for teachers that includes providing effective feedback.
- Assist with the development and execute a teacher/teaching fellow observation and feedback plan.
- Observe and coach teachers in order to develop their mastery of craft and content in pursuit of our ambitious mission.
- Work with the Head of School to create a vision for assessment and manage the selection and creation of formative and summative assessments.
- Work with the Superintendent and Head of School to set annual academic goals and benchmarks – and be relentless about meeting our goals for children.
- Assist with planning and developing the scope and sequence for the Bloom Academy professional learning calendar including our rigorous three-week Summer Training Camp for new team members.
- Work with our Operations Manage, Director of Student Achievement, and Head of School on annual assessment schedules.
- Plan and present professional learning sessions throughout the school year.
- Ensure that teachers are progress monitoring scholar performance.
- Become an expert in all reading assessments used at Bloom Academy including but not limited to NWEA MAP, STEP, etc.
- Engage in coaching sessions with the leadership team to develop and grow practice.
- Provide consistent and clear high academic and behavioral expectations.
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred.
- Deep alignment with the school's mission and core values.
- At least three years of teaching experience.
- A growth mindset and high emotional intelligence.
- A staunch belief that all students regardless of race or socio-economic status can achieve at high levels and be positive contributors to their communities.
- A successful background check in compliance with state law.
- Ability to build strong relationships with children.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with all school stakeholders.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
Preferred Key Competencies, Mindsets and Abilities
- Strong leadership qualities.
- A social justice-oriented philosophy as it relates to the achievement gap and educational advancement of disenfranchised communities.
- Experience as a teacher or other profession in a high needs/and or urban setting.
- Experience with equity or cultural competency work and or professional development.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Must be available some nights and weekends.
- Knowledge of office equipment and services including computers, printers, copiers, fax machines, phones, and software.
- Open and receptive to feedback about performance and self-reflective about ways to improve.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and social media platforms (Instagram & Facebook).
Disclaimer: This job description provides the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals hired for this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Bloom Academy Charter School reserves the right to change any or all content of this job description based on the school’s needs. If applicable, the incumbent will be notified of any changes before they take effect.
This is a TCLAS Grant funded position to commence June 2023
Bloom as you are.
Bloom Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment for all adults and children who enter our doors.
Bloom Academy is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment on account of race, age, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, or religion or otherwise as may be prohibited by federal and state law.