Title: Resource Teacher (Special Education Certified) FLSA Classification: Exempt - Salary
Reports to: Head of School Salary Range: $50,000 – $65,000 Created Date: 10/06/2020 Updated Date: 06/07/2022
Bloom Academy Charter School exists to provide a high quality, rigorous, and joyful educational experience to students in grades kindergarten to fifth grade. We are a new and independent school seeking to add deeply mission aligned, smart, hardworking, and emotionally intelligent people to our founding staff. We opened August 2019 with a cohort of kindergarten and first graders, and now serve scholars in grades K-3 this school year. In the 22-23 school year, we will educate scholars in kindergarten through third grade.
Bloom Academy Founding Special Education Teacher
Driven by our mission to ensure every child succeeds, the founding special education teacher will be responsible for delivering high quality, rigorous instruction and maintaining a joyful classroom environment for all students. We believe that teachers are key levers in producing student achievement. Therefore, Bloom Academy provides a working environment that intentionally supports and appreciates this incredibly demanding and important work through daily and weekly coaching and professional development. Joining our team as a founder provides a unique opportunity to help build the culture and legacy of Bloom Academy as it becomes an enduring and premier education option for generations of students to come.
Our Special Education Philosophy
At Bloom Academy we provide a safe, joyful, and challenging space for students with special needs. We believe that a special education “designation” should not lessen the expectations that we have for students, but rather should provide key insight into how we best support students to reach their greatest potential. We believe in creating inclusive spaces for all children. We are unapologetic about this philosophy. All applicants must share this mindset – no exceptions.
The special education teacher will have the following key responsibilities:
• Assist with the management of Bloom Academy’s Special Education Program including attending IEP meetings, ARD meetings, administering tests, etc.
• Provide rigorous intervention lessons to support and grow students with disabilities.
• Plan rigorous and differentiated TEKS aligned lessons that meet the needs of students in Bloom’s special education program.
• Ownership of closing any existing academic gaps for all students.
• Assist with the maintenance of inclusive classroom environments that value high expectations and character development for every child.
• Monitors and collects student data and uses data to inform instruction to be used by lead classroom teachers to support children with IEPs and 504 plans.
• Collaborate with teaching staff to plan for student success and progress.
• Participate in staff training and work collaboratively with colleagues to plan lessons, assess students, and interpret academic data.
• Engage in coaching sessions to develop and grow practice.
• Ensure that scholars are receiving resource instruction in compliance with their IEP.
• Provide consistent and clear high academic and behavioral expectations for scholars.
• Communicate effectively with students, families, and staff.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Valid Special Education Teaching Certification.
• At least two years working in the capacity of a special education teacher in an urban setting.
• A clear understanding of federal and state regulations, laws, and required compliance submissions.
• A strong understanding of SPED state and federal rules, laws, and regulations.
• Deep alignment with the school's mission and core values.
• A staunch belief that all students regardless of race or socio-economic status can achieve at high levels and be positive contributors to their communities.
• A successful background check in compliance with state law.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with all school stakeholders. • Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
Preferred Key Competencies, Mindsets and Abilities
• Strong leadership qualities.
• A growth mindset and high emotional intelligence.
• A social justice-oriented philosophy as it relates to the achievement gap and educational advancement of disenfranchised communities.
• Experience with equity or cultural competency work and or professional development.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
Disclaimer: This job description provides the general nature and level of work to be performed by individuals hired for this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Bloom Academy Charter School reserves the right to change any or all content of this job description based on the school’s needs. If applicable, the incumbent will be notified of any changes before they take effect.
Bloom as you are.
Bloom Academy is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and strive to create an inclusive environment for all adults and children who enter our doors.